“Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving.” (50:14)
“The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies Me.” (50:23)
“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” (51:17)
“I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly.” (52:9)
He doesn’t need any material thing from me, only gratitude. I’ve gotta say, I’m thankful for that.
Today, as I travel back to the US, I feel pretty spent. I don’t have anything more to give. But I love my Lord, and my weary heart desires to be drawn into a worshipful presence of God. So as I settle in for an overnight in Istanbul’s Ataturk airport, I’m going to make a list of all I’m thankful for:
- The family and friends I’m coming home to
- My YWAM base releasing me these 3 months to explore a future work in Europe
- The Syrian family I was welcomed into
- The Apostolic Church which made me feel so welcomed and wanted
- Clean drinking water
- A really great apartment to live in the whole time
- My team of prayer warriors
- Answered prayers
- Gyros and gelato
- Syrian food
- The NGOs and UN who are working so hard to house, feed and relocate the refugees
- All the countries who are opening their boarders for my tired friends.
- God’s glorious mercy and grace.
- Salvation achieved by Jesus on my behalf
- An aptly timed season in the Psalms.
- The sweet Nigerian ladies stuck in the transit terminal with me, keeping me company
- My supporters
- Card games
- The small amount of Arabic I learned that allows me to eavesdrop on conversations no one would suspect I could understand
- The testament to God’s power and faithfulness, demonstrated in the fact Istanbul still exists even though it’s been in the middle of most everything throughout history
- The fact God isn’t intimidated by our questions or small views and opinions of Him
- That He is altogether different than I am: never afraid, tired, rude or wrong
- He created many nations and cultures, and His image can be found in them all
- God forgave David for his sin with Bathsheba (what 51 references) and He forgives me and can forgive anyone
- He is with me, no matter where I am
What are you thankful for today?